There's a few reasons why submissions that are recorded in Prolific might not recorded in your survey/study data.
- The response may be 'in progress'. In some software, some response get recorded straight away, while others are temporarily stored as "Responses in Progress". Sometimes, participants finish the study, but don't click on the forward button on the last page, so their responses are temporarily stored under "Responses in Progress", even though they are de facto complete. To resolve the situation simply click "Close Responses" or similar. Afterwards, the responses should show up in your data.
- The participant may have more than one submission in your study data (but only one in Prolific). In this case you can just delete the duplicate submissions and approve the participant's submission. Please see our article on duplicate submissions here.
- If the participant does not have the correct completion code like the rest of the respondents then something might have gone wrong during the study which caused them to leave early and submit with "NOCODE". Check if you received any communication from participants about any issues, or send them a message. Ask if the participant is willing to take the study again, or accept partial payment. If you don't hear back you might have to reject this submission.
- If the participant has the correct completion code and has completed in the correct time then your survey software might have had some data loss. Check with the participant/and or your study software provider if anything went wrong during the study. If the participant spent the time to completed the study you will still need to approve them even if you don't have the data.
- Please note that in some survey softwares (such as Google Forms) submissions aren't auto-saved, whereas in others (like Qualtrics) they are auto-saved. In the former case – when responses aren't auto-saved – it is very important that participants click on the final button for their responses to be recorded. Please instruct your participants to both click on the completion URL *and* to click on the final button on the last survey page.